Other Sources of Funding

Employment Earnings

Fund your studies and get valuable work experience at the same time.

Work Learn

The Work Learn program supports and subsidizes meaningful work experiences at UBC. You'll build skills and grow your professional network, right here on campus. 

Take a look at more information found here.

Other Employment opportunities

To find additional information on employment opportunities on or off campus, please visit UBC Student Career Services.

If you have a student loan, any employment income earned by a student and their spouse, is factored in by government student loan programs to offset a student's costs in determining their government assessed need. This income may reduce the amount received from government student loans or bursaries.

Required Employment Income Contribution - Pre-study Period
As a rule, the student contribution required from the pre-study period (the four months before starting the program and the summer breaks during the program) is based on the amount of income earned, less taxes and a moderate standard of living allowance for this period. There may be a minimum contribution required, regardless if a student works or not during the pre-study period, depending upon the length of break from studies.

Required Employment Income Contribution - Study Period
A student is expected to contribute 100% of the resources they receive during the study period after the deduction of:

  • the appropriate tax rate
  • the exemption of the first $1,800 of awards
  • and a $50/week exemption on income earnings.

If a student is married or common-law, their spouse/partner will be expected to contribute toward the family resources unless they are at home caring for dependent children age 11 or under, or if they are in full-time studies. The expected spousal contribution is the greater of:

  • a minimum contribution of $238 a week; or
  • 80% of income earned after an appropriate tax rate.

Family Support

Family Contributions either through the form of monetary gifts or loans or the reduction of costs by living at home can be of great assistance in financing program costs.

The government student loan process expects that parents of dependent students will contribute to their child’s education. The expected contribution is based on the family's calculated discretionary income.

Students are no longer considered dependent if they:

  • have been out of high school for 48 months,
  • have been in the labour force for two periods of 12 consecutive months, or
  • are married, living common-law, separated, divorced, widowed or have dependent children of their own.

If a student is no longer considered a dependent but is receiving family contributions they must still declare the amount received on their government student loan application.

RRSP Lifelong Learning Plan

If a student or student’s spouse has RRSPs, there is a provision to allow for tax-free withdrawal of these funds for educational purposes. Students are able to withdraw up to $10,000 per year from their RRSPs, to a total of $20,000.

They then have 10 years to repay this amount to their RRSP. Failure to repay the required amount in any given year will result in the amount having to be reported as income on their personal tax return.

NOTE: Withdrawal of RRSPs will affect a student's assessed need calculation and may therefore reduce government student loan and bursary eligibility.

Please consult the Canada Revenue Agency for more information.

Emergency Funding

If you are facing unexpected financial distress or have had a significant change to your financial situation, UBC has several options, including bursaries and short-term loans. Contact the Law’s team of Enrolment Services Advisors to schedule a confidential advising appointment. We will be able to assess your financial situation and provide the best course of action for your situation (your options will vary depending on whether you’re a Canadian student or an international student).