The Centre for Business Law supports excellence in learning through its academic programs which prepare students for their careers by providing rigorous theoretical and practical legal training in areas of business law.
Students enrolled in the Clinic provide business oriented legal advice to segments of the small business, entrepreneurial, and non-profit communities.
- The Clinic is supervised by two experienced lawyers.
- Students take part in reflective journal presentations, seminar discussions, and provide a written assignment.
- Students gain practical skills in: legal drafting, interviewing, problem solving, file management, business development, professionalism, client relations and others.
- The clinic is open to second and third year JD law students. The deadline for students to apply is March 1.
The Concentration allows JD law students to focus their legal studies on business law courses.
- Students are required to complete six mandatory courses and six credits from a selection of optional business law courses in their second and third year.
- As part of the mandatory requirements, students must complete the Business Law Capstone course. This course incorporates theoretical and practical elements of business law into one integrative course.
- The Concentration is recognized on students' final transcripts and students are provided with a certificate upon graduation.
- The deadline for 2L students to apply is May 31.
The program provides graduates with the knowledge and specialized technical expertise in taxation beyond that which can be acquired in a law or business degree. The curriculum focuses on the core areas of tax law and practice while giving students the option to develop expertise in a specific area of interest.
- The program is a full-time, one year course-based degree, with a part-time option.
- The program is open to applicants with a JD or LLB degree, tax practitioners in law or accounting, and practicing lawyers who wish to specialize in tax law.
- Applications open at the beginning of October. The application deadline is January 31.