Conversion of the LLB to JD - FAQs

The Peter A. Allard School of Law is pleased to announce that interested alumni may now apply to
change the name of their degree from LL.B. (Bachelor of Laws) to J.D. (Juris
Doctor). The approval of this student-led initiative to have UBC award a J.D.
rather than an LL.B. took effect after extensive consultations with UBC faculty,
students, alumni and wider constituencies revealed widespread support for the
change. Alumni wishing to change the name of their degree designation to a
J.D. should review the following frequently asked questions.

How do I change my degree?

For those alumni who wish to change the name of their degree retroactively, an
online application form is available at:
Form processing and applicable fees are handled by the Graduation Office at
Enrolment Services.

Does this change the academic standing of my law degree?

No. Your degree is still a first degree in law and the change from LL.B. to J.D. is
simply a change of designation and does not indicate any change in academic
status of the law degree program.

How does the degree name change affect current students?

Starting in the 2008/2009 academic year, students entering the Allard School of Law will
graduate with a J.D. Students enrolled in their second and third years when the
change was in process have the option to receive either the LL.B. or J.D. degree
upon graduation.

Will a change to J.D. designation allow me to qualify to practice in the U,S,?

A J.D. from UBC will not automatically entitle a graduate to seek admission to a
state bar in the United States. Holders of Canadian J.D. and LL.B. degrees
interested in being admitted to practice in the United States are subject to the
requirements of the bar admission authorities in the relevant state. Information
about these requirements can be found at
. You may also contact the Career Services Office for more information.

Do I have to change my degree?

No. If you choose to do nothing, your degree will remain an LL.B. degree.

If I apply to have my degree designation changed, will I receive a new
diploma? What date will appear on the diploma?

You will receive a diploma with the following statement, “Bachelor of Laws
conferred on Month XX, XXXX. Converted to Juris Doctor on February 7, 2008.
Similar wording will also appear on your official transcript.

What does it cost to convert an LL.B. to a J.D.?

UBC Enrollment Services charges a $102.00 fee (plus tax) to cover the administrative
costs incurred by processing degree conversions.