Fasken Classroom, Rm 122
A "JD Advantage Career" is one that doesn't require applicants to be licensed lawyers, but for which holding a JD provides a distinct employment advantage. What are some JD Advantage Careers? This panel will feature law school graduates, some of whom are also former lawyers, who are now working in a wide variety of industries and roles where they do not practice law. What else can you do with your law degree, and how can you get a job in those fields? These speakers have all participated in hiring for their industries, and will share their secrets for how their work leverages the skills they learned in law school and as lawyers, what their industry's hiring process looks like, hiring trends including salary info, how to acquire the necessary non-legal skills for their field, and whether you realistically need to article and practice law in order to be considered for positions in their field.
Confirmed panelists include:
- Didi DuFresne – Manager of Advocacy and Legal Advocate, First United Church
- Doug Jasinski – President, Skunkworks Creative Group Inc
- Nevin Massing – Estate Administrator, Public Guardian & Trustee
- Alissa Perry – Senior Labour Relations Specialist, BC Public School Employers’ Association
- Audrey Wong – Director of Wholesale, Aurora Cannabis