B.A. UBC 1967; LL.B. UBC 1970; B.C.L. (Oxon.) 1972 LL.M. (Harv.) 1996
Office Location: Allard Hall, room 356
Joost Blom joined the Allard School of Law in 1972, served as Associate Dean 1982-85, and as Dean 1997-2003. He has been a Visiting Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School (1981), Part-time Lecturer at the University of Victoria (1979-81), Research Fellow and Lecturer at the Canadian Studies Centre at the University of Trier (Germany) (1996), and Senior Fellow, Faculty of Law, University of Melbourne (2006). Professor Blom's research and writing have been concentrated in the areas of Contracts and Torts, focusing on the relationship between them; in Conflict of Laws (Private International Law); and in Comparative Law. He served as President of the Canadian Association of Law Teachers 1983-84. He was elected as a bencher of the Law Society of B.C. for four terms 2004-11 and became a Life Bencher as of 2012. He has served as Chair (1996-97) of the Board and Treasurer (1995-96 and 2004-06) of the Continuing Legal Education Society of B.C., and he continues on the Board. He has regularly given presentations in the Society's courses. Prof. Blom also served on the board of Courthouse Libraries B.C. 2006-13 and was Treasurer 2009-13. He is Chair of the Mackenzie King Scholarship Board of Trustees and a Membre Titulaire of the International Academy of Comparative Law. He was awarded the designation of Queen's Counsel (for B.C.) in 1985.
- Conflict of Laws
- Intellectual Property
Representative Published Works
Peter T. Burns & Joost Blom, Economic Interests in Canadian Tort Law (Markham, Ont.: LexisNexis, 2009) (pp. lxxi, 471)
- Nicholas Rafferty, Joost Blom, Elizabeth Edinger, et al. (eds.), Private International Law in Common Law Canada: Cases, Notes and Materials, 3rd ed. (Toronto: Emond-Montgomery, 2010) (primary responsibility for Ch. 9, "Choice of Law Methodology", ch. 12, "Torts", and ch. 13, "Contracts and Restitution")
- "Star Wars Storm Troopers, the Next Episode: Lucasfilm in the United Kingdom Supreme Court" (2011), 24 IPJ 15-28.
- "Canadian Cases in Private International Law in 2011 / Jurisprudence canadienne en matière de droit international privé en 2011" (2011), 49 Can. Yearb. Int'l L. 559-98
- Â "New Ground Rules for Jurisdictional Disputes: The Van Breda Quartet" (2012), 53 Can. Bus. L.J. 1-30
- Publications listed on the Law Library Faculty Research Publications Database.