B.A. UBC 1967; LL.B. UBC 1970; B.C.L. (Oxon.) 1972 LL.M. (Harv.) 1996
Office Location: Allard Hall, room 417
Joost Blom joined the Allard School of Law in 1972, served as Associate Dean 1982-85, and as Dean 1997-2003. His teaching subjects were Contracts, Torts, Conflict of Laws, and Intellectual Property. He became Professor Emeritus on his retirement in 2017 but continues to teach at the law school part-time. He received the Faculty of Law Teaching Excellence Award 2005. He has been a Visiting Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School 1981, Part-time Lecturer at the University of Victoria 1979-81, Research Fellow and Lecturer at the Canadian Studies Centre at the University of Trier (Germany) 1996, and Senior Fellow, Faculty of Law, University of Melbourne 2006. Professor Blom's research and writing have been concentrated in the areas of Contracts and Torts, focusing on the relationship between them; in Conflict of Laws (Private International Law); and in Comparative Law. He served as President of the Canadian Association of Law Teachers 1983-84. He was elected by the lawyers in Vancouver District as a bencher of the Law Society of BC for four terms 2004-11 and became a Life Bencher as of 2012. He served as a law-school-appointed director of the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC 1991-2017, including Chair of the Board 1996-97 and Treasurer 1995-96 and 2004-06. He also served as a director-at-large of the British Columbia Law Institute 2007-17, including Vice-Chair 2013-15 and Chair 2015-17. Prof. Blom served on the board of Courthouse Libraries B.C. 2006-13 and was Treasurer 2009-13. He is currently Chair of the Mackenzie King Scholarship Board of Trustees (since 1986) and a Titular Member of the International Academy of Comparative Law. He has also been a Trustee of the UBC Faculty Pension Plan 2004-20. He was awarded the designation of Queen's Counsel (for B.C.) in 1985.
Representative Published Works
- “Disclaimers and Exclusion Clauses as Risk-Allocation Devices in Canadian Tort and Contract Law”, in Jason W. Neyers, Andrew Botterell and Zoë Sinel, eds., Gerald Fridman and the Law of Obligations: Past, Present and Future (Toronto: LexisNexis, 2019), pp. 47-77
- “Canadian Cases in Private International Law in 2018 / La jurisprudence Canadienne en matière de droit international privé en 2018” (2018) 56 Can. Yearb. Int’l L. 571-608
- “The Court Jurisdiction and Proceedings Transfer Act and the Hague Conference’s Judgments and Jurisdiction Projects” (2018), 55 Osgoode Hall L.J. 257-89 + appendix
- “Canada”, in Encyclopedia of Private International Law (Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 2017, 4 vol.), vol. 3, National Reports A-Z, pp. 1950-59
- “Constitutionalizing Canadian Private International Law — 25 Years Since Morguard” (2017), 13:2 J.P. Int’l L. 259-293
- Peter T. Burns & Joost Blom, Economic Torts in Canada, 2nd ed. (LexisNexis Canada, 2016) (pp. lv, 518)
- Publications listed on the Law Library Faculty Research Publications Database.