B.A. (Stanford) 1962; J.D. (Harvard) 1965
Office Location: Allard Hall, room 364
Bill Black's research interests pivot around Human Rights Reform, Equality Rights, and Mediation and other Dispute Resolution within Human Rights Agencies. He has written on the Charter of Rights and Freedoms emphasizing equality rights and on various aspects of human rights, including the human rights process, employment equity and systemic discrimination. He is the Principle Investigator (along with Dean Phil Bryden of the Faculty of Law, University of New Brunswick) for the Human Rights Dispute Resolution component of UBC's Dispute Resolution Program. From 1999-2000 he was a member of the Human Rights Act Review Panel, which published its report in June of 2000. He was Visiting Professor and Director of the University of Ottawa's Human Rights Research and Education Centre from 1989-93, and headed a research project on human rights for the B.C. government in 1994. Professor Black joined the Allard School of Law in 1970 as Assistant Professor, was promoted to Associate Professor in 1975 and Professor in 1998.
- Legal Institutions
- Canadian Constitutional Law B (Charter)
- Issues of Equality and Social Justice
- Issues in Human Rights
Representative Published Works
- "Report on Human Rights in British Columbia" (Vancouver: B.C. Ministry Responsible for Multiculturalism and Human Rights , 1994) (219 pp.).
- "Freedom of Expression and the Electoral Process" in P. Thibault, B. Pelletier, L. Perret, eds., Essays in Honour of Gérald-A. Beaudoin: The Challenges of Constitutionalism (Cowansville: Yvon Blais, 2002), 21-53.
- (With C.L. Smith) "Equality Rights" in G.-A. Beaudoin and E. Mendes eds., Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms , 3rd ed. (Scarborough: Carswell, 1996) 14-1 to 14-75
- "Employment Equality: A Systemic Approach", (Ottawa: Human Rights Research and Education Centre , 1985) (187 pp.).
- "Vriend, Rights and Democracy" (1996) 7 Constitutional Forum 126-133.
Publications listed on the Law Library Faculty Research Publications Database.