Distance Learning - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Eligibility, Transfer Credits and Course Registration

Applicants must typically hold, or be in the process of completing, a first law degree.

Please note that distance learning courses are at a graduate-level, which assumes a certain level of knowledge of the law and ability to engage in critical legal thinking and analysis.

Master's programs at UBC generally require applicants with Canadian or U.S. credentials to have maintained a B+ average or have the equivalent of 12 credits in the A range in their last two years of undergraduate study. Information for those with international credentials can be found on Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies' website. Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to consider these requirements prior to registering for distance learning courses.

No. The distance learning courses are presently only open to unclassified students and Master of Laws (Common Law) students. However, upon completion of your degree, you may register as an unclassified student and apply to take distance learning courses for credit.

Yes, subject to approval by the Faculty's Associate Dean, Graduate Studies and Professional Programs, to a maximum of 5 credits.

Under Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies' Policy, courses taken as an unclassified student may be approved for transfer towards a graduate program on permission of the Allard School of Law and the Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Students are limited to transferring a maximum of 12 credits or up to 40% of the program credit requirements, whichever is more, toward their master's program. To be eligible for transfer, a minimum B standing must have been achieved and the course(s) must not have been counted toward the completion of another degree or program.

No. Because these are graduate-level courses, registration cannot be completed online. Please see our How to Apply page for detailed instructions on how to register for online courses at the Allard School of Law.

Because these are graduate-level courses, registration cannot be completed online. Please see our How to Apply page for detailed instructions on how to register in online courses offered at Allard Hall.

For information on how to withdraw from a  distance learning course, including any applicable deadlines and refunds, please visit UBC's Student Services Website.

Course Structure and Evaluation

As with classroom courses, final examinations will be the primary mode of evaluation for distance learning. However, it will be up to each individual instructor to decide on the exact mode(s) of evaluation for his or her course. For information on how final examinations work in a distance learning format, please visit UBC's Student Services Website.

UBC Resources

Yes. Once you have your Campus Wide Login (CWL) and UBC card, you may access the Library's licensed databases, indexes, and e-journals online using the Library's EZ proxy login service. Distance learning students are also able to register for home delivery of Library materials.

For detailed information on Library access and available tools for distance learning students, please visit http://help.library.ubc.ca/help-for/distance-education-students.

Only law students at UBC are assigned individual Westlaw Canada or LexisNexis Quicklaw accounts. However, unclassified students can access LexisNexis Quicklaw content via LexisNexis Academic - Legal.

Consult your course syllabus, then order any required materials via the UBC Bookstore.

Not if you are only taking distance learning law courses at UBC. If you are a Master of Laws (Common Law) student or an unclassified student that is also taking classroom courses at UBC, please contact the CSO to find out what services you may be eligible to receive.

National Committee on Accreditation (NCA)

In many cases, yes. The National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) is the body charged with determining the additional qualifications required for foreign-trained lawyers to practice law in Canada. It is run by the Federation of Law Societies of Canada, independent from Canadian universities. Contact information, and details on the accreditation process, can be found on the NCA's website.

If you obtained your law degree outside of Canada and wish to practice law in Canada, then you must apply to the NCA to have your education and work experience assessed. In its assessment, the NCA will determine what additional training you require in order to be eligible to practice law in Canada.

The distance learning courses offered by the Allard School of Law have been designed in consultation with the NCA to help students demonstrate competency in these specific subject areas. For many students, successfully completing a distance learning course will be enough to satisfy the NCA's requirements for that specific subject area. For others, particularly those with a distance education background, additional education or training may be required.

We recommend directly contacting the NCA with questions on whether the NCA will recognize a particular distance learning course for the purposes of your assessment.

Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

Yes. Simply log in to your Law Society of British Columbia account to record the credits.

Financial Assistance and Awards